DML 1/72 Tiger I Sd.Kfz. 181 Ausf. E Late Production w/Zimmerit
Built for the Tiger Tank Campaign ,
from 12/5/2010 to 3/15/2011
This is the first build where I've used only my new Renegade Velocity airbrush and I think it helped me do a good job on the camo on this one.
I also used a Step by Step finishing Guide by Glenn Bartolotti to help me with the painting and weathering steps in this build and I think they helped me improve my skills a bit.. I highly recommend his STB guides.
The Base coat is Model master Africa Braun with Burnt Umber pre-shading under it. The Camo colors are Model Master Dunklegrun and burnt Sierria. Followed by a fade coat to blend in the colors. I used Africa Braun again mixed with thinner in a 10 to 1 ratio.
This was followed by a pin wash of raw umber artist oils mixed with turpinoid. The tracks are a base coat of Model Master Rust and dry brushed with steel and a silver pencil.. but its hard to see in the photos. The decals were set with Solveset one of my favorite tools.
The final steps was some fading with oils, slight weathering and some pigments and a Dullcoat. I think it came out ok.
The one drawback of this kit is that the rear idler wheels are not the correct thickness and need to be sanded down to fit the tracks correctly. I didn't quite get this right. And adding some rear deck screens and an antenna would prob add that extra bit of detail to the kit.